In need of a last-minute gift? Make a batch of snowman soup in a paper mug! This adorable treat takes almost no time to make and is always a big hit!
Snowman Soup in a Paper Mug
Snowman soup in a paper mug is one of my all-time favorite Christmas projects. It’s cute and clever, and because it takes just a few minutes to make, it’s also an ideal last-minute gift.
I’ve never met a person who didn’t smile when gifted with this holiday treat!
What is Snowman Soup?
Snowman soup is a crafty name for hot cocoa mix with marshmallows. To make it, you just place hot cocoa powder or pre-packaged mix in a baggie. Then you throw in lots of marshmallows along with a peppermint candy cane to use as a stirring stick.
Each batch of snowman soup also includes a ‘recipe’ in the form of a printed poem.
You can write your own snowman soup recipe poem, or find one of several different printable versions around the web.
Free Snowman Soup Printable Set
Because I like making this treat so much, I made my own poem, along with some coordinating printable images.
You’re welcome to use this set if you’d like in your Snowman Soup projects:
Free Download: Snowman Soup Printable Set (<– Click link to download)
Please note that the set will download to your computer as a .zip file, so you’ll need to ‘unzip’ it before you can use it. This Snowman Soup printable set includes all of the elements shown above in both JPG and PNG format, plus outline versions of the images that you can color yourself.
Why Put it in a Paper Mug?
An important part of every gift — especially simple ones — is presentation. While you can certainly gift snowman soup in just a baggie, dressing it up with festive packaging will really make it stand out as something special. And what better packaging could there be for a warm winter drink mix than a paper mug? It only takes minutes to make one, but will make your last-minute gift look like you spent hours on it!
How to Make a Paper Mug
Don’t let the complicated look of the paper mug scare you off. It is so easy to make! With these step-by-step directions, you can make one that measures about 3 inches tall by 4 inches wide when finished — the perfect size to gift a batch of snowman soup. Ready to give it a try?
- 1 sheet 12×12 patterned paper (thicker is better)
- Two small brads
- Paper trimmer
- Scoring/folding tool
- Paper scissors
- Paper piercing tool OR needle
- Double-sided tape
- OPTIONAL: Embellishments to decorate the finished paper mug
Make the Paper Mug Base
1. Cut one piece of cardstock/paper to 9 x 4-1/2 inches, and a second piece to 1 x 4-1/2 inches.
2. Lay the 9 x 4-1/2 paper piece facedown on your work surface, and then rotate it so that one of the long sides faces you.
3. With your scoring tool, score the paper from top to bottom along this long side at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 inches.
4. Rotate the paper a quarter turn (90 degrees) so that one of the short sides faces you.
5. With your scoring tool, score the paper from top to bottom along this short side at 1-1/2 inches.
6. Fold and crease the paper at each score line, just to create crisp creases.
7. Unfold the paper so that it lays flat again on your work surface. If necessary, rotate it so that the long side nearest the 1-1/2-inch score line faces you.
8. With your paper scissors, cut up along each vertical (up-down) score line just to where it meets the 1-1/2 inch horizontal (left-right) score line.
9. You should now have a set of tabs running along the bottom edge of your paper. Trim away the left-most tab by cutting along the horizontal score line above it. This creates another tab at the left edge of the paper.
Assemble the Paper Mug
1. Fold the tab at the left edge of the paper up along the score line, and then crease the fold.
2. Next, apply double-sided tape along the entire length of the folded tab, removing the plastic backing from the tape when finished.
3. Bring the right edge of the paper up over the top of the taped tab, align their edges, and then press to seal together. This will create a cylinder.
4. Now press gently to flatten the cylinder into a double-layered square. When flattened, four panels and four tabs of the paper mug base should be visible.
5. Apply double-sided tape along just the bottom edge of each of the four visible tabs. Be sure to remove the plastic backing from all of the tape.
6. Expand the paper mug again into a cylinder. Once expanded, stand the cylinder on end so that the taped tabs face up.
7. Locate one of the taped tabs, and then fold it along the score line towards the center of the cylinder.
8. Now fold in the untaped tab directly across from it so that it overlaps the taped area. Press to seal the two together.
9. Repeat steps 7 to 8 above with the remaining three opposing pairs of tabs, until the bottom of the paper mug is sealed closed.
You should now have a paper cup. All you need now is a handle to turn it into a paper mug!
Add a Handle to the Paper Mug
1. With your scoring tool, score the 1 x 4-1/2-inch paper strip at 1/2 inch and 4 inches.
2. Gently fold the paper strip along each score line to create a crease, and then unfold.
You now have a handle piece to attach to your paper mug.
3. Locate the seam panel of the paper mug — the place where you connected the two sides of the paper to form the cylinder.
4. Align one of the short edges of the handle piece with the top of this panel.
5. Using a paper piercing tool or needle, poke a hole through both the handle piece and the underlying panel of the paper mug.
6. Next, insert a brad through this hole, expanding its wings on the inside of the paper mug to secure it in place.
7. Repeat steps 4 to 6 above to attach the other end of the handle piece to the bottom of the same panel.
Voila – a paper mug!
If you like, decorate your paper mug with coordinating embellishments. In keeping with the snowman soup theme, I always like to add a snowman image somewhere on mine.
When you’re finished decorating, simply tuck your baggie of snowman soup inside.
Don’t forget to include the snowman soup recipe! You can attach it to the baggie, hang it like a tag from the paper mug, or even include it on a separate handmade greeting card.
A paper mug is quick and easy to make, and is the perfect way to package a batch of snowman soup. Altogether, this makes a great little holiday gift that anyone would enjoy. Best of all, snowman soup in a paper mug is so cute, nobody will ever know you made this gift at the last minute!
Share Your Thoughts
What do you think of this last-minute gift idea? Will you make some snowman soup in a paper mug to treat your loved ones this year? What questions do you have about this project that I can answer for you? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts!
Please Share This Article
If you enjoyed this article, please pass it along! Thanks so much for reading, and please let me know if there’s a paper craft problem I can help you solve today.